How easy is it to change your mindset? Are you used to doing things at a certain time, knowing what’s happening on each day and how much time you’ve got to do certain jobs? What if something happens that’s out of your control, that doesn’t fit into your plan – how do you react?
Sometimes things happen that we just can’t control and for many of us when it happens it seems like everything is going wrong.
These unexpected roadblocks maybe a disaster at the time, but we have the power to stop them from stressing us, causing anxiety or anger and ending up in tears. On these ‘bad’ days it’s great to catch yourself, (before ending up on the downward spiral) pick yourself up and take a more positive approach or even meditation.
- BREATHE: Yes a few deep breaths can make the world of difference! Breathing deeply and slowly can calm our nervous system and slow the heartbeat, making us feel less agitated and reduce our stress.
- STRETCH: When we are anxious and stressed our muscles tense up, which can lead to headaches. No one wants a headache on the top of stress, doing a few stretches can work wonders!
Try this stretch for your neck. *Remember move slowly and smoothly to ensure your neck is safe.
- Sit facing forwards hands pressing down onto the seat either side of your hips. Drop your right ear to your right shoulder, whilst pressing your left palm down to the seat. You will feel a strong stretch along the left side of your neck and probably through your shoulder. You may even feel the forearm and wrist stretching too, depending on how tight you are.
Hold for a 5 – 10 deep breaths.
- Turn your chin in towards your right armpit (left palm still pressing down beside your left hip). You will feel the stretch move slightly behind where you first felt it.
Again hold for 5 – 10 deep breaths.
- Slowly move your chin to the centre of your chest, hold for a couple of breaths before gently lifting your head to face forwards once more.
** Repeat a. b. and c. on the Left Side.
- Colour or doodle: Kids love colouring for a reason… so why can’t we adults do it again? Adult colouring books are all the rage at the moment. Have you tried it? I can guarantee if you colour something in with your kids or friends’ kids you’ll get right into it! Colour & creativity can only de-stress as it gives a mental release that can lead to more clarity when things are going pear-shaped.
- Laugh: See the funny side of whatever’s stressing you. Make a joke out of whatever has gone wrong; see the lighter side of it.
I had people over for dinner a few months ago; one of them is a superb cook. I wanted to make a sugar free chocolate mousse…and did. Unfortunately, I hadn’t tasted the avocado prior to making the mousse and – well let’s say it wasn’t quite rotten, but 75% there 🙁
So out came the mousse that I was so proud of. Every pair of eyes with that first spoonful in their mouth grew to the size of melons! When I took a spoonful myself my eyes nearly popped out too (why hadn’t I tried it before I served it?)
Inside I was mortified but chose to see the funny side rather than get upset… and just made sure I made the BEST cheesecake ever when we went to theirs for dinner a few weeks later.
So if you do tend to get stressed when things get out of control, try to get back to these basics…. simple but so effective.
Venessa is a down to earth Nutritional Therapist & Life Coach, specialising in helping clear your stress and problem skin through Holistic Simplicity. Her passion for healthy living, whole foods and beauty from the inside out, is a result of years of acne, adrenal exhaustion and digestion issues that affected not only her body but also her confidence. Venessa wants to share with you how Yoga & Meditation along with a natural, unprocessed diet and SkinB5 products can build flawless skin, amazing confidence and a massive smile, as it has done for her.
Check out Venessa’s website for more details about how Nutritional Therapy & Life Coaching could help you. www.holistic-simplicity.com