Quinoa is a popular ancient seed has been around since 3000 BC. It is a source of complete vegetarian protein and full of nutrients: magnesium, iron, zinc to name a few. Research shows us it is a cancer preventative food because of its high level of anti-inflammatory phytonutrients. Got you intrigued yet? Here’s how to make this delish salad.
Prep time: 5 minutes Total time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa* (pre-rinsed)
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups kale
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander/cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice from one large lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 fresh garlic clove minced
- Sea salt
- Combine quinoa and water in a pot. Bring to a soft boil on the stovetop. Reduce to a simmer with the lid on. Stirring every so often until you see the outer ring of the quinoa separate. This is when it’s fluffy and perfect (about 15 minutes max).
- In a large salad bowl, combine all the ingredients except the avocado, dressing, and seasoning. Once quinoa is ready, mix it in with the salad. You want the quinoa to be hot so it warms the ingredients. Drizzle dressing over top of salad and top with chopped avocado, cilantro, sea salt and pepper.
If you make this, let us see! Tag your photo with #skinb5recipes on Instagram.
My name is Farah and I am an advocate for natural and organic beauty products, healthy living and a self-proclaimed whole foods enthusiast. My passion for health and beauty stems from my personal experiences dealing with problematic skin and now I want to help others learn my secrets to flawless skin from the inside, out. I’m a firm believer that true beauty comes from what goes inside of your body and I am thankful to be able to educate you and help you to obtain clear skin